Full Time – $80,000 – $90,000 per year
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the President, the Vice President for Finance & Operations will be responsible for the oversight and supervision of finance and operation functions; including human resources, information technology, legal and facilities (except those under asset management). The VP will plan, manage and supervise all accounting functions to ensure the financial health of Supportive Housing Coalition of New Mexico (SHC). The Vice President is a strategic thought-partner who plays a critical role in partnering with the executive leadership team in strategic decision making and operations. Serves as the staff liaison to the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors and is responsible for preparing and presenting accurate financial information to the President and the Board. May serve as the acting President in the absence of the President when noted by the President.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
- Develop and maintain accounting systems and general accounting books for SHC and affiliates.
- Oversee and monitor transactions that effect cash flow and lines of credit for SHC and affiliates.
- Manage the annual operating budget and budget process for SHC and affiliates.
- Manage the general accounting functions of SHC and affiliates.
- Manage the payroll function to ensure accurate and timely payroll transactions.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and assess any changes as necessary.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system.
- Prepare monthly financial reports for the SHC and affiliates.
- Develop, update and implement business policies, accounting practices and procedures.
- Manage accounting staff and accounting contractors.
- Monitor financial requirements of grants and contractual obligations for SHC and affiliates.
- Prepare financial records for independent financial audits for SHC and affiliates.
- Assist the President and designated staff in grant preparation.
- Process all day to day accounting requests and ensure compliance with federal, state, local and project requirements.
Human Resources, Information Technology and Administration
- Further develop SHC’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training, and recruiting.
- Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, and procedures.
- Work closely and transparently with all internal department directors and other staff members, as needed, to maintain smooth operations and strategically move the organization towards the most effective and efficient method of delivering the mission, vision and values of the organization
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to function both as a team member and a team leader
- Ability to make and maintain positive working relationships
- Excellent decision-making skills.
- Ability to organize work flow to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of fund accounting in a non-profit environment
- Ability to create and maintain accounting systems from conception to implementation
- Knowledge of property management, affordable housing, tenant-based assistance programs and/or housing development desired
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Word, Excel and MIP Fund Accounting software
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field
- Masters of Business Administration level degree or higher preferred
- Minimum of seven years of professional experience in financial and operations management with preference to fund accounting in a non-profit environment
- Minimum of five years’ supervisory experience
- Experience with contracts, grants, HUD, uniform guidance, and multiple entities preferred
- Ability to translate financial concepts to those who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Excellent communication skills and relationship building skills with the ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
SHC is an EEO Employer