THIS JOB IS CLOSED
SHC is seeking a full-time Housing Specialist in Albuquerque, NM. The Housing Specialists uses a person-centered approach to coordinate all tasks necessary to link persons emerging from homelessness to tenant-based rental assistance and permanent housing, integrating evidence-based practices effective with individuals and families who have experienced homelessness. The Housing Specialist is to be familiar with evidence-based practices such as: Housing First, harm reduction, motivational interviewing, and Trauma-Informed Care. The Housing Specialist will work collaboratively with a range of community service providers to ensure tenants are stabilizing in and retaining their housing.
- Process initial program applications to verify homelessness, disability, and income status in order to ensure program eligibility.
- Facilitate enrollment briefings to advise participants of programmatic guidelines and tenants’ rights. Schedule re-certification appointments to review annually.
- Calculate tenant’s rental portion based on verified income to ensure tenants pay no more than 30% of their adjusted income towards rent. Update calculations annually, at minimum.
- Conduct Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspections to ensure unit meets basic health and safety guidelines; coordinate follow ups to ensure tenants and landlords have the necessary information and resources to make corrections for failed items.
- Attend lease signing and move-in appointment.
- Provide housing search and application assistance, as needed.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with local landlords.
- Be familiar with New Mexico Housing Laws and offer information to tenants and landlords, as needed.
- Assist residents in understanding their rights and responsibilities under their tenant lease; work with landlords to address issues putting a resident at risk of eviction, reviewing barriers and creating collaborative plans to promote housing retention.
- Maintain timely and complete documentation regarding tenant eligibility, communications, unit compliance, and housing payments as required by SHC policies and funder regulations.
- Complete timely and accurate data entry into Community Housing database systems, including Grand Terra and HMIS.
- Provide crisis intervention (as needed and when requested) or provide consultation in the management of disputes or differences between residents and property management.
- Assist with the collection of rent payments and front desk reception as needed.
- Submit monthly status reports to supervisor regarding tenant progress, issues, and successes.
- Perform other assignments as directed by supervisor.
- People with lived experiences of homelessness, mental health recovery, substance use recovery, etc. are encouraged to apply.
- BA/BS from an accredited college or university, or comparable work experience.
- Minimum two years’ experience working with housing programs, community organizations, and social services.
- Preferred two years’ experience working with individuals with serious mental illness and/or substance abuse issues, the homeless, or other under-served populations.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, ETC:
- HQS certification or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully working with diverse populations, especially individuals who have experienced homelessness.
- Possess a high level of tolerance and understanding for individuals who present with active symptoms with urgent and complex needs.
- Strong level of customer service, attention to detail, organized, competitive, and follow through to completion.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work and to meet weekly and monthly goals and expectations.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment and exercise mature judgment.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Knowledge of the Fair Housing Act, the New Mexico Human Rights Act and the Uniform Owner-Resident Relations Act.
- Ability to drive – valid driver’s license and insurance required.
- Bilingual preferred
Send cover letter, resume, and completed SHC Employment Application to firstname.lastname@example.org
SHC Employment Application can be found at www.shcnm.org/job-openings/
SHC-NM is an EEO employer